I am seeking re-election as Loughborough District Councillor. I would like your support.
Over the last four years, I have enjoyed working with you for a more open and informed Township, good services, a better environment, responsible growth, action on climate change, fiscal control, reduced inequality and vibrant hamlets.
There is much more to do. I am committed to being a strong voice for a vibrant rural community.
Together let’s make South Frontenac a community that is open, affordable, sustainable and provides opportunities for our children and grand-children.
Local Control of Local Decisions
Over the next four years we need to gain control of our community’s development.
The majority of politicians who make decisions on subdivisions and condominiums in South Frontenac are not from South Frontenac. They are members of Frontenac County Council and they are not accountable to South Frontenac residents.
Leaving Frontenac County in control of these important developments favours developers, reduces community input and increases cost.
I believe the people who make the decisions on subdivisions and condominiums should be elected by the residents of South Frontenac. It is only democratic.
A New Official Plan
South Frontenac needs a new community-developed Official Plan. The last full reworking of the Official Plan was almost 20 years ago. It is time.
Everyone should be informed, consulted and listened to.
- how should we protect our lakes and wetlands?
- how many hamlets do we want?
- what kind of development do we want and where should it go?
- how can we promote local agriculture and food production?
- how should we respond to climate change?
- should we have special development rules in areas of poor water quality and quantity?
Residents need to be directing our community’s development. We need a new Official Plan.
The Last Four Years
In the last four years I have:
- Opposed the Johnson’s Point wetland development.
- Supported major new projects for Loughborough: the Perth Road Fire Hall, Bedford Reconstruction, Salmon Lake Culvert, Desert Lake Causeway.
- Removed the Sydenham water system penalty fee.
- Worked with Lake Associations to stop 40- ft lake frontage lots.
- Supported greater funding for community groups.
- Opposed 15% to 25% increases on large road contracts.
- Written a monthly councillor’s report.
- Held constituent meetings in Sydenham and Perth Road Village.
- Responded promptly to phone calls, emails and concerns.
- Worked hard for better public notice provisions.
- Helped organize South Frontenac Rides and the Lakes and Trails Festival.
- Raised issues of climate change, invasive species and septic systems and worked for local solutions.
- Focused on lake protection.
- Fostered thoughtful, respectful discussion of issues.
- Fought for winter maintenance on all assumed Township Roads.
I look forward to working with you on these and other issues over the next four years.
If you would like to help my campaign you could:
- Take sign. Please send me a note if we could put up a sign on your property.
- Donate. New rules require more smaller donations. If you would like to help out, please contact me about a donation.
- Talk to your neighbours.
- Vote. To get on the voters list go to voterlookup.ca.
Thank you for your consideration. If you have any questions or comments please contact me.
I look forward to seeing you around the Township,